Friday, December 10, 2010

Do you have time for Christmas?

Suzanne and I have made the comment that it would be nice to have at least a foot dusting of snow.  Most people around here would prefer the dryness that we have had so far:)  There is something about snow that feels like Christmas.  Here is the funny thing.  Those who don't want snow are probably more right in their ideas.  It is doubtful that there was much snow on that first Christmas Advent.
Oh well!  The real questions should be whether we have time for Christmas.  And what really is Christmas, anyway?  Is it a holiday in December?  Is it a day off from work?  Is it a time to get together with family and eat a ton of food and exchange presents?  Is it a time to give money to charities (like MCC or the Heifer project or Crisis pregnancy centers) instead of buying that latest gizmo for our loved one?  Is it a time for singing carols?  Is it a time to exercise that family tradition?
Actually all the above can help us celebrate Christmas.  But they can also stress us out and keep us from observing the Christ, the Messiah, come to earth, God with us.
Take a moment.  Take another one.  Can you spare another one?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What would be my destiny if there was no Christmas. The older I get the more important it is to me. The realization that I will die physically is becoming more and more real as each day passes by. Without Christ I am doomed. Thank You Jesus for loving me and caring enough to come and save even me.