Sunday, November 18, 2007

Clinical Pastoral Education

This week I spent about 4-6 hours filling out my application for Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE). This is a class that I will be taking for 12 weeks during the coming summer. It will consist of 5 days a week in a Wichita, KS hospital setting. In essence, being a chaplain while learning how to be a chaplain. I see this as an important part of training for pastoral ministry. Class will be from 8am till noon. Visiting patients in their rooms will be from noon till 5pm. Once a week, at 5pm, I will "get" to stay overnight at the hospital as the on-call chaplain for the trauma unit. You could liken this to learning how to swim, by having your friends throw you into the ocean a mile offshore. No time like the present to learn how to swim. Friends who have gone through this experience describe it as not something to look forward to, but definitely something worthwhile to have gone through. You learn an immense amount about yourself and about ministering to those that are hurting.
I believe most things that I will experience in the next 1-2 years will be like that. Learning, growing, becoming. Sounds like a theme...

No comments: