Monday, August 10, 2009

Saltdogs baseball

The town of Shickley had a night at the Lincoln Ballpark Sunday Night. It was a good time of connecting with friends and getting to know some more people from the community. This was put together by the Commercial Club of Shickley, and it was also a faith and family night at the park. There was concert by a talented Acapela (no better cause) type band before and after the game. Some of the local children's league ball players got to go out on the field. It rained pretty hard for about 3 innings. The saltdogs lost.

But the most memorable experience was getting out of our van at the park and realizing I had forgot our 5 tickets... Suzanne had a good laugh at what my face looked like when I told her what I had done. I felt like an idiot. I was so mad at myself. Those of you who know me as "always organized and in control", well there goes that. We had driven an hour and a half and now we would have to buy new tickets or drive all the way back to get them. Luckily, or by providence we had brought Wes and Linda with us, and Wes knew some people. It turned out that the organizer from Shickley had extra tickets. Fear, dread, and humiliation gave way to comfort, relief, and humility.

Here is where it got really funny. It was like God was saying, "let me take care of it. I will provide. You're not in control. You need a lesson on humility." No less than 4 people, as part of the sponsoring church where walking around giving out free tickets as part of the faith and family night. Each time they offered us tickets. I just had to laugh, and say, "Yes God, you are good. You have a good sense of humor. I need to be less serious about myself. Thanks for the lesson." We had a good time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you want life to run smoothly, grease it with gratitude. Next time someone shows you a kindness ... pass it on.

Anonymous said...

A good reminder for us all. God is in control - let Him handle it!!