Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Not a care in the world

Is this your response to the Spirit of God?



What moves you to action? What trigger launches you out of your seat and into the foray of life? Why do you do anything at all? Could it be affections?

Newton's first law of motion suggests: An object at rest will stay at rest unless the object is acted upon by an external force. Nolt's first law of action suggests: The nature of human beings is to be inactive unless influenced by some affection.

Our affections (love, hate, hope, fear, desire, etc.) are the force that creates actions in our lives. We can try to do the right actions. But we don't really want to unless an emotion stirred by our affections tells us to. If certain people or their actions stir uneasiness or hatred in me, than I will have a hard time willing myself to show them love. However, if certain people and their actions stir love and confidence in me, than I will find it hard to hate them.

So, is it possible to be stirred with love for those who previously (or presently) stirred hatred in us? Yes, but not through forcing our will. Instead, through giving up our will, and taking on Christ's will. When we receive Christ, we receive the Spirit of God, and we have the power of godliness in our heart. This power will incline us to seek the things of God. But this power must be exercised. When we seek the Spirit and respond to the Spirit with affection and not just our heads, our sensitivity to the Spirit is increased. When we resist the Spirit, we notice it less. Our lack of desire creates a lack of noticing.

Lord, I pray that you would stir the fire of the Spirit in me, and may I be burnt till all that is left is you in me!

No comments: