Friday, July 27, 2012

The Presence of God

Oh, God. Here I am. Where are you? Are you are in the rustling of the leaves. The gentle breeze rolling across my cheek. The warmth of the sun. You have promised to never leave me. So, in faith, I believe you are here with me. In faith, I turn my attention to you; a holy pause. I take a breath and imagine you filling me... I am overcome with a sense of peace... You alone, and no other.

Love the Lord your God, with all your heart and soul and mind and strength. And love your neighbor as yourself.
Is it possible to wrap our heads around the simple power of these two commands? Of all the commands that Jesus could have chosen, are they all summed up in those two?
If I love God with all my being can I break any of God's other laws? If I love my neighbor with the same love I have for myself will I do my neighbor any harm?
If I love God with completeness, my desire is to do only what pleases him. If I love my neighbor selflessly, I will welcome them and be drawn to meet their needs.
Brother Lawrence once wrote that he read books about how to draw closer to God, and the methods discouraged him. He found God's grace and presence in practicing the presence of Christ. He entered an intimate relationship with God, by spending time with God while he worked. That actually makes sense! I think that is the definition of this love. Let us love God and neighbor today.

No comments: