Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Loud silence

If you've ever practiced a silent retreat for any length of time, you will realize how loud it can be. Small noises of insects and wind and maybe even your thoughts can be quite overwhelming for some. As part of the community aspect of the silence we had two meals together. This brought some humorous moments. First off you will realize that there probably isn't any louder meal than hard tacos and cans of pop. By the time the 10th person of about 20 had opened their can of pop, the snickers were starting. A few muffled haha's were heard as people crunched their tacos. Some laughter finally exploded as someone broke their plastic fork trying to cut their taco. I guess you had to be there, it was quite funny.

A neat aspect of Breakfast was that everything was on the table and we needed to be aware of what people needed without them asking. If you saw someone pour a bowl of cereal, it was important to notice, because most likely they would need the milk next; and they couldn't ask for it. I think this practice would help us to develop a deeper awareness of others and not be so self focused. I would love to sit through a silent meal at our house, but alas I don't think it is possible, well maybe with some practice.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed picturing your quiet meal of tacos & pop. It's so much harder, when you are trying to be quiet. A silent meal at your house or mine would require much practice and I'm afraid it would produce more laughter simply because it's supposed to be quiet, at least at our house. Have a great day, Your Sis

sln said...

Well said. It is kind of like when we were younger, and you would get mad at me. I knew I shouldn't laugh at you, but I did. That made you madder, which made me laugh harder... wash, rinse, repeat.
I hope you all are doing well.

Anonymous said...

We are doing fine. Trying to stay on top of things w/ work and all. B's v-ball is almost over, so that's one less activity to have in the schedule, but there is always something to do. Unfortunately D has the laughing at me figured out too. B gets mad now too. Must run in the family.