Monday, April 18, 2011

Monday of Holy Week

John 12:1-11
Ominous, six days before the passover. Having just raised Lazarus from the dead, Jesus' enemies want to kill him. Well actually, both "hims". They want to kill Jesus to remove the threat to their political/religious compromise with the Romans. They also want to kill Lazarus, for being raised back to life! It's not Lazarus' fault, but he is the evidence that Jesus can conquer death, and he is the reason that many Jews were believing in Jesus.
Then, there is Judas. Isn't there always a Judas? Am I not often Judas? "Look at the waste! We could have used the money for the poor!" Some times I'm the thief; the one who is dipping into the bag; the one who wants to steal from Jesus' glory, something for myself. I deserve it, don't I? Time marches on. Only a couple more days with Jesus, then he will be gone...

No comments: