Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Tuesday of Holy Week

John 12:20-36
Jesus is in Jerusalem at a feast, and he knows his time here on earth with his disciples is about to end. Some Greeks (non-Jews?) came requesting to see Jesus. I am wondering if Jesus is in hiding. The request is given to Jesus, and Jesus begins to talk about being glorified. Well that to me involves Jesus being seen. But Jesus instead seems to be portraying the idea that he is going to die. Instead of doing something great and wonderful in the full view of all, to be seen, Jesus instead is going to "just die". And this is for his glory, and for his Father's glory?!
My mind says, "Who will get the glory if Jesus dies? The one who kills him?" Jesus seems to be saying that the glory will go to Jesus, God, those who die with him. Now, I wouldn't have come up with that... and neither did the disciples. And just for good measure, so that Jesus will be glorified, Jesus goes and hides himself from them...
One time somebody told me that following Jesus is just about common sense. I didn't buy it. It's about a Spiritual sense, only revealed by God through the Spirit.

No comments: