Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Don't do it

As I mentioned in a previous post here, a friend that is a student at Asbury Theological Seminary, gave me the words of advice, "Don't do it." I can understand and agree with him on this. Going into Seminary or Pastoral Ministries training isn't something you totally choose to do. It is, in a sense, chosen for you. You don't wake up one morning and say, "I think that would be fun". You don't choose it after trying everything else and then saying, "Well, if I can't do anything else, I guess I could try this".
After conversations with those in ministry or preparing for ministry, and reading writings from those in these situations, I keep hearing this, "This is so fulfilling that I wouldn't want to be doing anything else, but I wouldn't wish it on anyone else unless they feel called to it."
I have also had a reluctance to make a decision to go into Pastoral Ministries training. It's sometimes hard to explain. I had an interest and a desire to pursue this for a number of years, but a resistance to making such a change and subjecting my family to moving and uncertainty. It took pushing and prodding by close friends, feeling an irresistible calling by God internally, my wife's unprompted acceptance of following the call, and numerous confirmations by people and circumstances. These things will also serve to be encouragement during the next number of years, when we face doubt and discouragement that will invariably come.

No comments: