Sunday, December 16, 2007

Loved ones

The other day, a good friends mother went to be with God, after struggling with cancer for a couple years. The funeral service was a meaningful one for the family and friends across many years. I was especially touched by the sharing by the two sons. They expressed love for their mother, loss of that special relationship, and thankfulness for the witness she left of loving God and being faithful to him.

Loss of loved ones is never easy. My friend summed it up well, when he said, "We were prepared, but not ready." I am so thankful for my parents example to me, and for raising me as they did. I believe I will feel the same when the inevitable happens. We must all die sometime. What really matters is our relationship with Jesus Christ, the effect that has on how we live our lives, and the love that we share with others.

As we celebrate Christmas, keep these two things in fine focus:
1- The birth of our Savior Jesus Christ
2- The loved ones that need to know they are loved, before they are gone

No comments: