Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Hopey New Year

Happy New Year!  What is a new year, other than a flip of the calendar?  And if your calendar is on the computer, it doesn't really flip, it is continuous.  It just flows on without a big change.
What are we really getting excited about?  I was struck by the lack of a ball drop at midnight here in CST.  I watched the 11pm ball drop in New York City.  There were people going crazy, yelling, screaming, dancing, and kissing.  Everybody was elated!
Yet, it was only 11pm here.  I couldn't get into it.  Suzanne went to bed, and I stayed up waiting for the 12am ball drop and my 12:15am run.
Pretty soon it became clear to me that there wasn't going to be a ball drop.  What was I staying up for now.  Next year maybe we'll go running at 11:15pm and be in bed by midnight:)
Here are the reflections that I had.  Everybody is going crazy about a moment in time that we have arbitrarily set as 12:00am on January 1st.  Seriously, we invented this moment!  Nothing magical or special happens at that moment, yet people prepare and celebrate that moment as miraculous!  What is it?  My conclusion, and correct me if your's is different, is that there is hope in the future, hope in a new beginning, hope in the possibilities, hope in the good intentions we have for ourselves, hope in the goodness of others intentions, hope that the world just might get better.
And it's all based on a moment that we have predetermined.  So, here's my idea.  If we can become hopeful, based on a moment that we've determined, why don't we create more of these moments?  Why don't we take or make these moments monthly, or weekly, or daily, or even 3 times a day?
As a follower of Jesus, in relationship with God, I can determine each morning to be a moment of reflection on the past, and determine in the present, that the future has possibilities.  I can see what needs improved or changed, and make a "resolution" to allow God to change me.  I can allow God to change my view of the upcoming situations.  I can allow God to change my perception of others.  What do you think?  Am I off of my rocker?!
Happy New Moment!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Shawn, Some days every hour I need a " New Beginning ", I am so glad that God loves me and allows me the opportunity to change for the good ! Each day is a struggle to live a clean righteous life. My hope is that someday the struggle will be over, and I will be in His presence forever, but until then I will never give in to living with garbage in my life. Never, Never, Never !!!