Thursday, January 21, 2010

One body many members

Yet it is still one body.  A couple weeks ago I was gone Friday and Saturday and then I preached on Sunday morning.  I asked the congregation if they missed me, or even knew if I was gone.  Alyssa said she missed me:)  Very few missed me, and so I said that I was glad that very few even knew that I was gone.  I think it should be that way.  The body of the Christ, the church, continues to be the hands and feet, ministering to others whether the paid pastor is present or absent.  There is one person whose absence should negatively affect the body; the triune God (Father, Son, and Holy Spirit).
Yet, Paul proclaims in 1 Corinthians 12 that each member must function with the gifts they are given.  If they don't then the body suffers for lack of that essential sense or function.  A great mystery.  In the body of Christ guided by the Holy Spirit God is glorified.
There is false unity if diversity is not respected.
There is disruptive diversity if unity is not sought.
There is productive diversity in the presence of unity.
There is witnessing unity in the exercise of diversity.
Lord help us!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shawn, I really like the order in which you put yourself - Husband, Father, Pastor. You got it right !

sln said...

It seems an appropriate perspective. And for me it's as much a reminder to me to get it right, as it is a statement of how I am living.
Sometimes I get it right!
Grace and confession.