Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Thoughts on Church Visits

Some things that I would take away from our visits.
-The physical posture that we have when worshiping does say something about our hearts.
Standing, moving, smiling, raising hands; they aren't indicators of worship taking place in the heart, but they can be. Distracted looking around while singing, not singing at all, lots of glum faces, reluctantly standing; they aren't indicators that worship isn't taking place in the heart, but they can be.
-Greeting visitors and regular attenders that you don't know does say something about Christ's love in you.
If the only person that talks to me in 30+ minutes of trying to get people to talk to me says, "Would you like a survey?", what does that say about peoples love for others?
-Use of our physical facilities says something about our focus.
Is it about nice, pretty, well-kept facilities? Or is it how can we use what God has given us to reach those around us? I would suggest that in this case it is the latter.

What is so hard about this, is that I can come up with what I think are the right answers. But I also know how much work it can be to put into practice. The more involved we get in the world, and in peoples lives, the messier it gets. Sometimes we prefer to stay on the surface, because it is cleaner and more comfortable there. I believe God calls us below the surface, and into the depths. That is where God is working, and he wants us to join him there. "Lord, I believe. Help my unbelief."

No comments: