Friday, May 15, 2009

Good or Bad place to start

I was thinking this morning as I walked around the Arboretum.  In the short time that we have had to get to the know the people of Salem Mennonite, we like them.  They seem to like us too.
The song sung at our Hesston College Commissioning service was going through my head, and here is a phrase, "I will hold your people in my heart."  I was struck by the thought that I can love these people.  I plan to love them.  They have a special place in our hearts, and we aren't even living there yet.  This is a good place to start full time ministry.  Or is it?

The thought occurred to me that it could be a bad place to start ministry.  Why, you may sadly ask.  I am going to make all of my mistakes with them.  I am going to fail at things and get things badly wrong at times.  And if I love these people, then I am going to hurt the people that I love.  So, it really is a bad place to start.  But yet, it seems like a great place to start.
May I have the grace to fail faithfully, and may you at Salem have the grace to forgive and teach.

(Just in case anybody was concerned, there is no change in plans.  God is taking us to Shickley!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shawn,

Here are some words to encourage you, " People rarely succeed at anything unless they enjoy doing it ". " Be strong and of good courage; do not be afraid, nor be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you WHEREVER you go ". Even if you make mistakes and fall flat on your face at times, God is with you, and HE understands, and the people at your new church will understand. You are just a person like everyone else. You have a Pastor's Heart. You can do it !!!!

Anonymous said...

Obey God And Let All The Consequences To Him.