Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Sunday's Sermon

Thank you to those who prayed.  Sunday's sermon went well.  I was extremely nervous at the beginning, due to inexperience, the large crowd, the bold content, and well, speaking on God's behalf as best I know how.
I received a lot of feedback, and affirmation, along with a few critiques.  I will be having a followup evaluation with one of the pastors, along with some written evaluations by other church members.  I am looking forward to watching the DVD and critiquing myself.
The passage was Luke 12:13-34, about the rich man who decides to fill bigger barns instead of filling empty stomachs.  Also Jesus telling us not to worry about life, eating, the body, and clothes.
I felt the need to balance a pretty strong message of living on less than you have and being generous with as much of the extra as possible, against the trust that we can have in God.  I think we worry because we don't trust God to provide or we have too much stuff that occupies us.  God wants us to be free from both extremes.  He wants us to live in faith, so that we can be blessed by his presence and relationship.  These areas were where I received the strongest affirmation.
May God be glorified.

No comments: